- 750g onions or shallots, peeled
- 600ml Malt Vinegar (or enough to cover your onions)
- 1 Tablespoon Pickling Spices (or your chosen spices)
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 1 Litre Jar
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar (Optional)
- Additional table salt
- Place your peeled onions in a bowl, sprinkle over some table salt and leave covered for 24 hours. This process helps them stay crunchy.
- In a saucepan, bring your vinegar, salt, sugar and spices to the boil to make your pickling liquid.
- Rinse your onions, dry with kitchen paper and spoon into sterilised jars. If you have any leftover spices, you can add them at this stage if desired.
- Pour the hot vinegar into the jars, making sure your onions are completely covered.
- Once cooled, tightly lid your jar and place in the fridge or keep in a cool place.
- We recommend waiting at least 2 weeks before eating.
Consume within 3 months