Spiced Vinegar Recipe
Give your pickled onions a spicier, deeper flavour by following our simple 3-step recipe to make your very own spiced vinegar.
- Add 25g of pickling spice and salt per 500ml of vinegar in a pan and heat until simmering, do not boil.
- Turn off the heat then place a lid over the pan and leave to cool.
- Strain off the spices and use the spiced vinegar to pickle your onions using the below recipe.
Your spices can be added to the jars of freshly pickled onions, shallots or other vegetables to infuse during storage for a more intense flavour. Instead of plain vinegar, you can also use your spiced vinegar in recipes for pickles, relishes and chutneys.
Pickled Onion or Shallot Recipe – to make 2 x 500ml jars
- 750g onions or shallots, peeled
- 500ml malt vinegar or spiced vinegar
- 2 glass jars (around 500ml each)
- 60g dark brown sugar (optional)
- Place your peeled onions in a bowl, sprinkle over some salt and leave covered for 24hours. This process helps them stay crunchy.
- The next day heat your spiced vinegar until simmering (do not boil), add sugar if using and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Rinse your onions, dry with kitchen paper and spoon into sterilised jars. If you have any leftover spices from making your spiced vinegar, you can add them at this stage if desired.
- Pour the hot vinegar into the jars, making sure your onions are completely covered. Leave to cool then screw lids on tightly and leave for at least 2-3 weeks before using. Store in the fridge after opening.